Security guard honoured for saving two-year-old’s life

By Christine Lavelle

A SECURITY guard at Heriot-Watt University who saved a toddler from choking to death on a hot dog has been hailed a hero.

Two-year-old Jess Shearer had fallen unconscious at the nursery she attends on the university’s campus in Edinburgh, when Dave Love rushed to the scene and dislodged the piece of food, and managed to resuscitate her before paramedics arrived.

Since the ordeal, Mr Love has been honoured with an award from the university’s principal, Professor Steve Chapman, who declared the father-of-two’s actions as “quick, decisive, professional and instinctive”.

The little girl’s mum, Maggie Shearer, who works for the university’s academic registry service, praised Mr Love, 39, for his quick thinking. Continue reading

Advertisements

Number of ‘forced adoptions’ rocket as more children taken into care

More children than ever are being taken into care

By Cara Sulieman

THE NUMBER of parents having their children taken off them and put up for adoption has rocketed in the last three years.

The number of cases where social services have stepped in and forced adoption have doubled in the past three years and a record number of kids have been taken into care.

Figures obtained from Scotland’s councils under the Freedom of Information laws reveal that 203 children were put up for adoption by social workers last year.

Continue reading

14-month-old ‘Human Piggy Bank’ nearly chokes on 20p coin

By Oliver Farrimond

A 14-MONTH-OLD boy nearly ended up a human piggy bank before doctors saved him from choking to death on a 20p coin.

Danny Mentiplay, from Dunfermline, swallowed the coin on June 30th after being asked to look after it while dad Allen was away.

However little Danny began “turning blue” within minutes, prompting terrified mum Tara to dial 999.

After being rushed to Edinburgh’s Sick Kids Hospital, battling doctors managed to remove the coin lodged in the youngster’s throat after an hour-long emergency operation.

Mum Tara said that were it not for the swift actions of NHS staff and surgeons, her son could have died. Continue reading

Toddler returns home after life-saving treatment

By Cara Sulieman

A TODDLER who suffers from a rare form of cancer has returned from the States where he was undergoing life-saving treatment.

Two-year-old Ross Anterton was diagnosed with a muscle cancer called orbital rhabdomyosarcoma last August.

The condition is so rare that it affects fewer than 60 children a year in the UK.

The tots parents – Andrew Anterton and Lesley Lauder – were told that the best chance for him was a new treatment called Proton Beam Therapy, which is not yet available in the UK.

They started a fundraising appeal and when the NHS agreed to pay £120,500, the family flew to the US in December to start a course of therapy at the Florida Proton Therapy Institute.

Continue reading

Family rushed to hospital following blaze

PENNYWELL_FIRE_KA_DPPA_01

By Andrea McCallum

A FAMILY was rushed to hospital following a fire in an Edinburgh high rise flat.

The three residents – which included a toddler – were treated at the scene by ambulance workers but were then taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary early this morning.

Fire crews were alerted to the ground floor blaze within Fidra Court on Pennywell Medway near Granton at 8am and spent more than two hours ensuring the 14-storey flat was safe.

The 15 firemen present used breathing apparatus to search the building and one fireman spoke to residents on their balconies using an extendable platform.

Continue reading

Politicians slammed by leading childcare expert

By Cara Sulieman

CHILD CARE expert Dr Penelope Leach has slammed politicians for making decisions about family issues they don’t fully understand.

Speaking to a packed tent at the Edinburgh Book Festival today (Tues), she said that the problem with the options available to parents today was that the policy makers have never experienced the problem themselves.

She said: “Hardly any politicians, academics or policy makers find it necessary to leave their own infants in the first few months in less than high quality child care.

“Quite a lot of them have no idea what it would be like to have no other choice.”

Continue reading

Grumpy couple say nursery kids are too noisy

Bill and Maggie Friel with their noise machine

Bill and Maggie Friel with their noise machine

By Cara Sulieman

A RETIRED couple who have waged a 15-year war on their local nursery are now demanding kids be kept indoors – because they are too loud.

Hacked off Bill and Maggie Freil have even invested in their own noise monitor to chart the alleged din from Jaydee’s Pear Tree Nursery in Haddington, East Lothian.

And they have also contacted the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman to intervene saying the council is ignoring their pleas – with new plans for the nursery to more than double in size despite their groans.

Now noise investigators from the local council have been ordered to carry out checks on the volume of the toddlers’ playtime to resolve the saga.

Continue reading