Man asleep while pan of food catches fire in flat

A DOZY diner had a lucky escape when he was saved by his neighbour’s fire alarm in the flat upstairs after he fell asleep while cooking a snack.

The 24-year-old was out for the count when smoke began belching from his kitchen in Bothwell Street in Edinburgh around 5am.

No fire alarm was fitted in his own home.

But the blaze tripped the detector in the house upstairs and his neighbours alerted the fire brigade while trying to wake him. Continue reading

Advertisements

Woman who died in house fired named

A woman who died following a house fire in the capital was today (Wed) named as 35-year-old Stephanie Foley from Cumnor Crescent, Edinburgh.

The fire occurred within a property in Fernieside Avenue in the early hours of Monday 8th November.

Ms Foley attempted to escape the flames by exiting via a first floor window.

She was taken to the ERI where she later died.

A 40-year-old man was also taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire or Ms Foley’s death and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

REPORT: Peter Laing

Warning over homemade bonfires in the Capital

FIRE chiefs in Edinburgh have assured that they don’t want to stop people having fun on Guy Fawkes Night but that they want to ensure that everyone is being safe.

Dangerous homemade bonfires are being removed in the Capital in the run up to Bonfire Night.

Community safety teams from the City of Edinburgh Council have spent the week taking down the sites across the city in a bid to prevent potential injuries and antisocial behaviour.

But David Lockhart, community safety manager at Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We are very much aware that this is an age-old tradition and we don’t want to stop people from enjoying this time of the year but we do need to make sure that people are safe and that communities are safe across the area. Continue reading

Trapped foster family rescued from blaze as thugs torch home

A TERRIFIED foster family had to be rescued by fire-fighters after their home was torched by thugs leaving them trapped inside.

Linda and William Mackenzie were hailed as heroes by emergency crews who said their quick actions in trying to block the flames and smoke at their front door helped save them and foster son aged five.

He was lowered out a front window to safety while they cowered inside waiting or rescuers to save them.

It was thought a plastic bottle containing a liquid and rag was deliberately set ablaze through the letter box of their front door home in Edinburgh’s Pilton Avenue at around 8.30pm on Wednesday.

Continue reading

Kitchen fire rips through house in Scottish Borders

By Christine Lavelle

A WOMAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire ripped through her home in the Borders.

The blaze started in the ground floor of the house in Heiton, near Kelso, at around 4pm today (Mon) and spread quickly before breaking into the second floor bedroom.

A 37-year-old woman managed to escape before fire fighters arrived, and was given oxygen by the crew.

She was believed to be the only casualty. Continue reading

Elderly lady taken to hospital after fire starts in kitchen

By Christine Lavelle

AN elderly woman was treated in hospital after a fire broke out in the kitchen of her home in Edinburgh.

Fire fighters were called to the scene at around 1.40am today (Mon) at Inverleith Row, where they extinguished the cooker-fire on arrival.

The 74-year-old was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh where she was being treated for smoke inhalation.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We got the call just before 1.40am, to a small fire on a cooker.

“It was put out on arrival, and the woman was taken by ambulance to Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary.”

Man leaps from window to escape electric blanket blaze

UPDATE

By Shaun Milne & Christine Lavelle

FIRE chiefs believe a blaze at a three-storey block of flats in Edinburgh may have been caused by an electric blanket.

Three people – including a man who leaped from a top-floor window – are being treated in hospital, and a family-of-four was rescued from the building on Craighouse Park in the Morningside area of the city.

Emergency services were called to the scene at around 7.45pm yesterday (Monday), and two ambulances took an elderly couple who lived in the ground floor flat – where the blaze broke out – to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.

They were said to be suffering from severe smoke inhalation, while another man who jumped from a third floor window was taken to the same hospital.

His condition was not yet known.

A family including two young children were led to safety from their home on the second floor, and the children were given oxygen at the scene. Continue reading