Man assaulted lone 16-year-old employee who was so scared he called his mum

A MAN assaulted a lone 16-year-old employee during a premeditated shop raid, leaving the teen so shaken that he called his mum.

Gordon Steen, 32, from Edinburgh, brandished a knife at Aquib Aslam at the Star Store in Kirkliston and threatened to kill him if he told the police.

Terrified Mr Aslam called his mum as soon as the robbery was over and went to shut up shop.

A female customer who was trying to get in to the shop saw how upset he was and comforted him until his mother arrived.

Continue reading

Advertisements

Schoolboy flashed women before pulling down their leggings

By Cara Sulieman

A SICK schoolboy flashed at two women in their 20s – before trying to pull down one of their leggings.

Mohammad Sohaib, 16, started following the girls as they walked down Gordon Street in Edinburgh before grabbing one of them on the bum and asking her “why do people not like to have sex in this country?”

The teenager then exposed himself to both women before trying to pull down the leggings of the other girl.

Today at Edinburgh Sheriff Court, Sohaib pled guilty to two charges of assault and one of public indecency on February 15 this year.

Continue reading

Funeral for tragic Riggi children

The three Riggi children

By Cara Sulieman

THREE children found dead in an Edinburgh flat earlier this month will be laid to rest in Aberdeen on Friday, it was announced today.

Twins Austin and Luke Riggi, eight, and their five year old sister Cecilia Riggi, were found dead in their home in Edinburgh on August 4.

There had been reports of an explosion at the townhouse in the Slateford area of the city leading to their discovery.

Theresa Riggi, 46, the children’s mother has since been charged in connection with their murder.

Continue reading

Edinburgh council set to sack German tram contractor

The trams were set to open in Edinburgh next year but have been delayed by at least seven months

By Cara Sulieman

EDINBURGH councils chiefs plan to axe the German firm carrying out work on the city’s troubled tram project.

Council chiefs say they are at the end of their tether after months of delays and projected overspends.

The £545 million project – originally due to finish in August 2011 – promised to bring benefits to the capital but is now seven months behind schedule with no end in sight.

Now they are preparing for a potentially costly legal battle to rid them of the contractors Bilfinger Berger.

Transport convener, Councillor Gordon Mackenzie, said the “ludicrous” position adopted by Bilfinger Berger left the council with no option but to terminate the contract.

Continue reading

Friends of club manager use Facebook to issue plea

Martin Gordon has been missing since last Wednesday (March 24)

By Cara Sulieman

FRIENDS of a nightclub manager who has been missing for a week after leaving for work have set up a Facebook page to try and track him down.

Martin Gordon left for work at Edinburgh club Cabaret Voltaire last Wednesday (March 24) but never turned up.

His flatmate and friend Richard Duff has now set up a group on the social networking site in a bid to track down the 33-year-old, who is originally from Glasgow.

Mr Gordon – who was known to his friends as Tartan – was last seen leaving his flat in the Grassmarket for work at 7.40pm on Wednesday March 24.

Continue reading

Concern grows for missing Musselburgh mum

Elizabeth McVey is missing from her family home

By Cara Sulieman

MOUNTED police patrols today joined the hunt for a missing Scots mum as fears grew for her safety after she disappeared from her home early on Monday morning.

Elizabeth McVey, from Musselburgh, has not been seen since she vanished from her home in the East Lothian town’s Eskview Road.

The last time anyone from her family saw the keen churchgoer was around 12.30am at her home before she was reported missing by relatives seven hours later.

She is registered as living at the house with husband Michael, and grown up children, son Mark and daughter Lynsey.

Continue reading

Top private school teacher faces being struck off for helping students cheat

By Cara Sulieman

A FRENCH teacher who worked at Prince Charles’ former school faces being struck off over allegations that he helped students cheat on an oral exam.

Eric Tessier-Lavigne is alleged to have given 11 pupils at Gordonstoun School in Elgin an unfair advantage by emailing them information about a conversation topic the day before the GCSE French exam took place on May 4 2009.

It is also alleged the emails contained the instruction “destroy after reading”.

Today, the Disciplinary Sub-Committee of the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTC) heard that Mr Tessier-Lavigne denies the charges and the case was adjourned until April 27 when they will hear evidence.

Continue reading