Man asleep while pan of food catches fire in flat

A DOZY diner had a lucky escape when he was saved by his neighbour’s fire alarm in the flat upstairs after he fell asleep while cooking a snack.

The 24-year-old was out for the count when smoke began belching from his kitchen in Bothwell Street in Edinburgh around 5am.

No fire alarm was fitted in his own home.

But the blaze tripped the detector in the house upstairs and his neighbours alerted the fire brigade while trying to wake him. Continue reading

Man survives Fernieside house fire which claims girlfriend’s life

A WOMAN has died in an early morning house fire in Edinburgh after leaping 15ft out of window while engulfed in flames.

Shocked locals tried to put out the flames on her body by dousing her in water and keeping her alive until paramedics arrived.

It was understood she had only recently moved into the upper mid terraced villa in Fernieside Avenue with her boyfriend.

He was only saved after heroic neighbours were able to smash down the front door of the house using hammers.

Both were rushed to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh for treatment to burns and from the effects of severe smoke inhalation.

However it was announced later that she had succumbed to her injuries. Continue reading

Trapped foster family rescued from blaze as thugs torch home

A TERRIFIED foster family had to be rescued by fire-fighters after their home was torched by thugs leaving them trapped inside.

Linda and William Mackenzie were hailed as heroes by emergency crews who said their quick actions in trying to block the flames and smoke at their front door helped save them and foster son aged five.

He was lowered out a front window to safety while they cowered inside waiting or rescuers to save them.

It was thought a plastic bottle containing a liquid and rag was deliberately set ablaze through the letter box of their front door home in Edinburgh’s Pilton Avenue at around 8.30pm on Wednesday.

Continue reading

Kitchen fire rips through house in Scottish Borders

By Christine Lavelle

A WOMAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire ripped through her home in the Borders.

The blaze started in the ground floor of the house in Heiton, near Kelso, at around 4pm today (Mon) and spread quickly before breaking into the second floor bedroom.

A 37-year-old woman managed to escape before fire fighters arrived, and was given oxygen by the crew.

She was believed to be the only casualty. Continue reading

Elderly lady taken to hospital after fire starts in kitchen

By Christine Lavelle

AN elderly woman was treated in hospital after a fire broke out in the kitchen of her home in Edinburgh.

Fire fighters were called to the scene at around 1.40am today (Mon) at Inverleith Row, where they extinguished the cooker-fire on arrival.

The 74-year-old was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh where she was being treated for smoke inhalation.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We got the call just before 1.40am, to a small fire on a cooker.

“It was put out on arrival, and the woman was taken by ambulance to Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary.”

Woman taken to hospital after fire at Fife cottage

By Amanda MacMillan

A HOUSKEEPER was taken to hospital after a fire broke out at the cottage where she was working.

The fire at the cottage in Birkhill in Gauldry, Fife, tore through the ground and first floor of the property at around 1.30am this morning.

Part of the ceiling also collapsed internally.

A female housekeeper obtained slight burns and was taken to Ninewells hospital in Dundee.

The elderly occupier was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene at later went to a neighbour’s house.

The fire also caused a problem with surrounding water supplies.

Fire fighters use platform to reach residents in flat blaze

By Christine Lavelle

EIGHT people were rescued from a burning building after a blaze broke out in the basement area of their block of flats in Edinburgh.

An elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation, and a 22-year-old female resident was given oxygen therapy by ambulance staff at the scene at Croall Place, in the Leith area of the city.

A man and woman were rescued from the roof by firefighters, who used a hydraulic platform to reach them.

The same platform was used to save a family of four from their living room window, in the multiple rescue operation which took just over an hour. Continue reading

102-year-old left seriously injured after gas explosion in home

By Amanda MacMillan

A 102 year-old woman was left seriously injured today (wed) when a gas stove exploded at her home after being left on overnight.

Pensioner Annie Boyd suffered burns to her face, hands and arm following the blast in Edinburgh which happened at around 6am.

It was thought a light being switched on caused a spark which in turn ignited gas which had built up after a hob was left on as she slept.

The force of the blast was powerful enough to blow out windows at the rear of the property and an oak door.

Shards of window were thrown as far as other neighbours gardens from the ferocity of the explosion which also caused a small fire.

Continue reading

Casualties taken to hospital following huge factory blaze

By Shaun Milne

AROUND 70 fire-fighters were still tackling a massive toxic blaze in West Lothian tonight (Thurs) causing fire chiefs to warn residents to stay inside and close all their windows.

The fire broke out at a packaging plant in Brucefield Industrial Park near Livingston around Midday sending huge plumes of thick, black smoke into the air which could be seen for miles around.

Pic: courtesy Lothian & Borders Fire & Rescue

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service reported having some nine fire crews at the scene assisted by an additional three height appliances.

An incident support unit and senior officers were on scene while one person, thought to have been an employee – was taken to St John’s Hospital in Livingston suffering from reported burns to his arms.

They were understood to work for the sites owners, Amcor Flexibles Limited, but there was no further information available about their condition.

It was understood at least one fire-fighter was also taken to hospital after becoming ill due in the after effects of fighting the blaze which involved various chemicals used in printing and packaging. Continue reading

Teenager charged after youths attack fire crews

By Cara Sulieman

A TEENAGER has been arrested after trying to steal a fire engine as firefighters battled to tackle a blaze.

Staff from Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue were ambushed by a group of youths as they tried to put out flames at West Pilton Children’s Centre in Edinburgh.

The yobs pelted the crew with eggs and jumped inside the truck as crews did their best to get on with their job.

A 15-year-old was arrested and has been charged after allegedly getting into the vehicle and revving the engine in an attempt to drive off.

Continue reading