Tragedy as suspected gas leak claims woman’s life

By Cara Sulieman and Michael MacLeod

AN elderly woman has died and her husband rushed to hospital after a suspected gas leak at their home early yesterday.

The 61-year-old – named locally as Pauline Childs – was thought to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Husband John, 70, was also rushed to St John’s Hospital in Livingston to be treated after inhaling the toxic gas.

It was understood that John had tried to summon help after coughing up blood, calling 999 to tell emergency services they were struggling to breathe at their council house in North Street, Ratho, on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Several ambulance teams were despatched to the scene but were unable to revive tragic Pauline.
Continue reading

Lost kite surfer saved by Lifeboat and Coastguard crews

By Michael MacLeod

A KITE surfer had to be rescued from choppy seas after going missing off the coast of Montrose.

A helicopter from RAF Kinloss was scrambled to help search for the man, but lifeboat and coastguard crews saved him after an hour-long search.

He was found sitting on his surfboard with the kite wrapped around him for warmth.
Continue reading