Police will wait to identify body before carrying out more searches

By Cara Sulieman

THE OFFICER in charge of the investigation into the disappearance of missing Samantha Wright last night revealed police would not be carrying out any further searches at the scene – until they worked out exactly what they had found at Magdalene Drive.

Chief Inspector Paul Bullen said that experts were working on establishing the identity of the human remains and how they died.

 

“Experts examining remains”

He said: “At this moment we don’t know whether the remains are male or female or what the cause of death might be.

“We cannot say for sure that they belong to one person but at this stage I am working on the premise it is one body. Continue reading

Advertisements

Edinburgh bin dispute boils over as “scab” worker attacked

by Shaun Milne

A WORKER drafted in to help beat Edinburgh’s bitter bin dispute has quit after being attacked at the weekend – and left unable to walk.

Police are probing claims the 30-year-old man was called a “scab” and set upon by two burly men in the city’s Market Street on Saturday night.Private Collectors

The victim – who works for Assist Recruitment – told police he was on an evening shift when stopped by two passers-by looking for directions.

Stamped

He led the men, who smelled of drink, to the Scotsman Steps to show them the way.

But he was bundled to the ground and badly beaten.

The man was stamped upon, suffering injuries to his knee, bruising to his stomach and other wounds.

He was evacuated back to the depot by colleagues but initially refused hospital treatment.

It was only when he was unable to put any weight on his legs or walk the next day that he went for medical attention. Continue reading

School health fears as teachers left to clean up in staff crisis

By Shaun Milne

UNDER pressure teachers claim they are doubling up as cleaners because of a massive shortage of Mrs Mops in schools.

City of Edinburgh Council admits there are around 130 vacancies for cleaners – accounting for 10 per cent of agency posts currently unfilled.

And with Swine Flu already on the up, fears are now growing that a lack of hygiene could put hundreds more young pupils at risk.Council Building

Worried councillor Ewan Aitken – who represents schools in Craigentinny and Duddingston – said he had already received complaints from staff.

He said: “I’m being told by teachers at some schools that they have to clean the classrooms themselves.

“At times janitors have to do it. The cleaners who do come in are working very hard – but there’s just not enough of them.

“They have been told to do the toilets – so they are not able to do classrooms.

“Once again it is the people on the frontline who are suffering.” Continue reading

Medics drafted in as Merchiston Castle school hit by swine flu

By Shaun Milne

A TOP boarding school for boys is the latest to be struck by an outbreak of Swine Flu.

Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh has so far seen 160 of its youngsters contracting the dreaded H1N1 virus.

CRISIS: Swine flu cases on up in area

CRISIS: Swine flu cases on up in area

Some 10 members of staff at the private school are also reported to have fallen ill.

None have yet needed hospital treatment.

Facility

But teachers say it has ripped through the school “like wildfire” after 12 pupils at the all-boys facility fell ill a week ago.

Older boys aged between 13 and 15 have so far been the worst affected. Extra nursing cover has now been drafted in to cope. Continue reading

Tragic Phil’s mercy-man escapes medic ban

By Rory Reynolds

A PARAMEDIC who was among the first to treat tragic Motherwell FC legend Phil O’Donnell on the day he collapsed and died has avoided being struck-off despite refusing to respond to emergency calls.02williammunro

William Munro faced being banned from work after he refused to respond to separate mercy pleas from two OAPs in April 2006.

He said that he was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after twice being confronted by blade wielding patients who he was trying to help – including one with a Samurai – and was “anxious” at responding to calls while on a single-man shift.

Following the refusal Munro was suspended by the Scottish Ambulance Service before he joined a private paramedic firm that attends sporting events – including the tragic match which saw the former Celtic idol pass-away.

Continue reading

Bomb scare at Edinburgh Airport

edinburghairport (1)By Paul Thornton

BOMB squad experts were called to Edinburgh Airport – after tram workers dug-up an explosive device.

Work on the capital’s tram link uncovered the shell at Burnside Road just before 10am in the morning.

The area is just on the edge of Edinburgh Airport but authorities say the transport hub – the busiest in Scotland – was not evacuated and no flights were affected. Continue reading

Accused squaddie pulled from Afghanistan for court case

By Michael MacLeod

A SCOTS squaddie is being pulled out of Afghanistan less than a fortnight after leaving Scotland – having been accused of an axe attack.
Dreghorn Barracks 03 (Medium)
William Townsley, 18, was supposed to appear at court today in connection with a brutal assault said to have happened in April.

When his lawyer said he had just jetted out to Afghanistan with the Army, a Sheriff declared: “Send him home immediately.”

The Edinburgh teenager serves for the Royal Regiment of Scotland and left the capital’s Dreghorn Barracks on October 1.

He was described as an “important” member of the military by defence agent Mark Hutchison at Edinburgh Sheriff Court today.
Continue reading